Monday, July 28, 2008

Grammar Lesson


My pet peeve:
The incorrect use of There, Their, and They're and other such homophones.

It was nice seeing you their.
When I went on a bike ride I used there bike.
I met his parents the other day. There nice people.
I went over they're.

No No No that is so wrong. 

Here is the correct usage:
It was nice seeing you THERE.
When I went on a bike ride I used THEIR bike.
I met his parents the other day. THEY'RE nice people.
I went over THERE.

I know that some people think it's just a weird problem I have, but the improper use of these can automatically make you look foolish to a stranger.

I was watching a very educational show the other day, Sex in the City, and in one of the episodes Carrie gets a letter from her Ex's new wife. In the letter, she wrote "I'm sorry I couldn't be THEIR." Carrie then calls her friend and says, "She's an idiot."

 So my entire purpose of this blog is to save you the embarrassment of being called an idiot because you don't know your homophones. Go ahead and incorrectly use a comma, but as for homophones...Learn them.

2 comments:

Samuel Nelson said...

I'm sorry I don't use the right homophones.

Allison said...

I HATE this...I have blogged about this exact same thing...including the Sex and the City episode. That's my favorite...

Thank you for understanding my frustration!